Skip to main content

When Good Enough Isn't



15 years ago this summer, I was sitting in a dreaded Organic Chemistry class – a class where good GPAs went to die. Not only is O-Chem a tough class anyway, but I was taking it over the summer, which meant a full year of information would be crammed into ten weeks. We had two hours of lecture every day and five hour labs every other day. Then there was the icing on the cake, that summer the course was being taught by one of the WWAMI (University of Washington Medical School cooperative with University of Alaska) Professors. We were going to have a year-long Med School Chemistry course machine gunned at us in two months.


I wasn’t too worried because all forty of us in the class would be in the same boat. We all had the same steep hill to ascend and I knew if I could out-climb all of them, my perfect GPA would survive. Also, the professor didn’t adhere to posted office hours and rarely answered questions in class. He would give you the information once and then you were on your own. Although this was going to make it even harder, I learned well on my own so this should work to my advantage in outpacing the class.

We quickly arrived at our first exam date and it wasn’t pretty. It was multiple choice (which a chemistry test should never be) and the questions felt like they were designed more to trick us than test our mastery of the material. No matter, we were all playing with the same cards. A week later I got my score back – 88%. While I wasn’t satisfied with the score, I was relieved when he posted the spread of the grades: the class average was in the 60s with a low in the 40s, maybe even a high 30. My 88% was the highest score on that exam. I sat back and waited for him to explain how he was going to curve the grades but that discussion never happened. Surely my 88, being the top score, would still warrant an A?

After several attempts, I finally tracked down our professor at his office and sought to clarify the issue of the curve. He plainly stated there would be no curve. Regardless of the class average, an A would be 90% or higher. No exceptions. I challenged him on this and suggested perhaps the test itself was the issue if no student in forty could manage a 90. He responded back with no minced words and his own theory that our class was just dumb and lazy. I knew for a fact this was not the case as I had studied with many of my classmates in previous semesters (no fewer than three are now physicians) but his assessment of my class got my blood boiling immediately. Before I could respond back with some ill-advised words from a hotshot 22 year old’s brain, he said something that stopped me dead in my tracks, “Sometimes in life you will find that good enough is not good enough. Where you are hoping to go, you must be excellent.”

Thankfully, I had nothing to say. I quietly turned around and walked out of his office. I was still steaming with anger and frustration but I could not get those words out of my head. He pegged me. I had been shooting for “good enough” and metering my efforts based on the relative performance of those around me rather than what I was capable of producing. I was still working hard, I put in a tremendous amount of time and energy preparing for that first exam, but my mindset was not to do my absolute best. I was just trying to outpace my fellow students. I was aiming for “good enough.”

Our society is constantly seeking bare minimums. “What is the least amount of effort I can put in and not get fired? How short can I cut my workouts and still lose weight? How many hours can I spend on Facebook and still get promoted? What is the minimum I can do … and still be good enough?” The problem with “good enough” is you won’t know if the effort you spent really was good enough until it’s too late. If you give all you have and still come up short, you can still hold your head up high knowing you did all you could. “Good enough” is the seed of regret and disappointment.

“Where you are hoping to go, you will need to be excellent.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat