Skip to main content

Doors Left Open




Two and a half decades ago I was hunting on Kodiak Island with my dad and some friends from church. It was a cold, windy November day and, like it often does on Kodiak, the rain was coming down hard. Thankfully, our friends had a wonderful cabin just off the beach.

After a long day of unsuccessful hunting, we walked into that cabin, cold and wet and ready to be out of the elements. Someone got a fire started in the stove immediately and we began shedding our soaked clothes and basking in the warmth of that little stove.

I don’t remember exactly how it happened but someone must have gone outside and didn’t quite latch the door. Even though the cabin had an enclosed mudroom going out from the door, there was soon a noticeable draft in that small room and then a gust of wind pushed the door open even more just as I was walking by. My dad casually asked me to shut the door and then the five words which would become infamous fell out of my mouth, “I didn’t leave it open.”

My dad stared blankly at me as I mulled over the senseless words which had so effortlessly slid off my tongue without a thought. “STUPID, STUPID, STUPID,” I thought to myself as I waited for my dad’s response. “Well,” he started, with more than a hint of annoyance in his voice, “I didn’t ask if you opened it, how ‘bout you just shut it.” The whole room burst into laughter and I stood there, feeling like an imbecile, then slowly walked over to the door and quietly shut it, tail still between my legs. It’s been twenty five years and I have still not lived down that day and that phrase is still thrown in my face in jest.

In my head, I was not nearly as concerned with having to shut the door as I was with being blamed for it being left open. I didn’t want people thinking it was my fault so I neglected to address the issue. What has become a family joke was actually a great lesson in my life.

I learned that responsibility sometimes has nothing to do with fault. No, it wasn’t my fault the door was left open but, as an able bodied member of that group trying to warm up, it was my responsibility to ensure it was shut. The truth my dad allowed me to trip over that evening was this: even though I was not at fault for the door being originally left open, it was in my power to fix the issue and therefore was accountable for keeping the door closed. Not being the one who caused the problem didn’t give me a free pass to be a bystander.

My wife’s father left her and her three sisters when she was four years old. She was raised by a single, alcoholic mom and was exposed to dangerous and destructive environments her entire childhood. While none of that was her fault, she accepted the accountability to ensure her life as an adult didn’t follow the same patterns and took the responsibility to protect her own path from the cycle of dysfunction.

It’s easy for us to see a problem around us and neglect to address it because we didn’t cause it. I think this is a very short sighted way of thinking but yet I struggle with the fairness of it all myself. “It isn’t fair” has to be one of the most destructive phrases in our conversations. We must learn to look beyond the fairness, and focus on the necessary.

“What can I fix in my life or in the circumstances around me, regardless of whom or what caused it?” That is a difficult but essential question to ask. We – because this is a tough one for me too – must seek out the doors left ajar around us, those letting in the bitter elements from outside to cause destruction inside the walls of our lives. And because we are responsible for what happens inside though walls, ensure those doors stay shut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat