Skip to main content

Uncle Rico Syndrome



Rico Dynamite | Napoleon Dynamite Wiki | Fandom
I hope you have seen the classic cinematic masterpiece, “Napoleon Dynamite.” If not, you need to turn off Game of Thrones reruns or Tiger King and watch that movie. It’s how your shelter-in-place-downtime can be effectively used. And if you have seen the movie, then you are familiar with the beloved character, Uncle Rico.

Except, he is not beloved. He is creepy. And quite sad. And although his character creates some hilarious moments in the movie, you wouldn’t want to hang around people like that. You wouldn’t want him babysitting your children or even your llama. You probably wouldn’t even want to buy Tupperware from him.

Uncle Rico is still trapped in high school. The past has such a hold on him that he is unable to move forward into the future. He is still haunted by a potentially glorious moment that slipped through his fingers as a teenager. As he sees it, his impact and influence peaked in high school. Content replaying the exploits of his past, Uncle Rico’s mind is imprisoned by his own Glory Days.

While Uncle Rico’s character may be an exaggerated example, we can all fall prey to this kind of thinking. Assuming we have “peaked” in some fashion or another long ago, we resign ourselves remembering the good ol’ days of the past instead of building our future. And because we don’t allow ourselves to be stretched and challenged in those areas of our life, regression becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What a sad way to live, believing your best is already behind you! No matter what you have or haven’t accomplished in life, there is always room to grow. Always new challenges to stretch you. And more importantly, there will always be people who depend on you to improve. Believe your best is yet to come, and then live in such a way that ensures it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat