Skip to main content

Lies of Perfectionism



A couple days ago I was talking with a man who was telling me about some of the financial struggles his mother-in-law is facing. He has witnessed a pattern of bad financial decisions and irresponsible management that has plagued her for years. Wanting to help her reverse this downward spiral, he offered to help her with a budget and come up with a game plan for the future. Appreciative, she thanked him for his willingness to help, but suggested that maybe he could take a look at her finances once she got everything in order and got her money problems cleaned up.

Does that make any sense? Why would she even need his help at that point? It’s like saying that you will wait to go to the doctor until you are healthy again! “Yeah, I know I have an oozing abscess in my throat, but I think I’ll wait to for that to heal up and then go see a doctor …” Crazy, right? But is it any different than someone wanting to get in better shape before joining a gym? Or losing weight before hiring a trainer? Or watching Youtube videos to practice your two-step before taking a dance class?

It’s the lie your ego tells you, the one that says you must get all your ducks in a row before you start something new or go after a goal. That you must get everything figured out ahead of time. Your pride tells you that you are unprepared and if you start now, you’ll look stupid, people will laugh, and you will fail in front of the whole world. It reminds you that the circumstances aren’t perfect and if you wait until you are “ready,” things will go smoother. These are some of the lies of perfectionism.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but perfect never shows up. If your diet was perfect, you wouldn’t need to lose weight. If your budget was flawless, you wouldn’t be running out of money every month and wondering where your paycheck went to hide. And if your ballroom dance steps would make Fred Astaire jealous, you wouldn’t need the classes. But the good news is that gyms are full of people who are out of shape, financial classes have plenty of broke members, and dance classes enroll lots of folks with two left feet (I know this because I’ve been one of them). Don’t listen to the lies of pride and perfectionism. Begin where you are at; just make a plan so you won’t stay there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat