Skip to main content

E Trade Tirade


I have to rant just a bit following up my Quick Fix post from a couple days ago. I recently saw THIS E Trade commercial and it epitomizes the broken perspective so pervasive in our culture. If you didn’t hit the link, the commercial shows a bunch of partiers passed out alongside a pool and the aftermath of last night’s bash. Then it says, “some people can afford to wake up at the crack of noon … but you aren’t some people. Don’t get mad, get E Trade.”

First of all, you have the blatant promotion of a quick fix, the ol’ get-rich-quick fallacy. The ad is trying to tell us that the secret road to wealth is as easy a trading a few stocks.  It insinuates you and I can be independently wealthy, effortlessly and quickly, by using their platform and software to outthink and out trade the masses. By the way, the average E Trade account is under $18K (not exactly wealth, nor is it enough to even buy a new car) and if you adjust for inflation, the average account value is less today than in 2001, according to Forbes magazine.  I guess E Trade isn’t a short cut to wealth after all.

The other toxic message of this ad is that once you become wildly wealthy with no effort, unplugging and being completely un-productive is your reward. It’s as if the goal of wealth and financial independence is to be totally selfish. What an empty and hollow perspective! It’s telling us that you can’t sleep in until noon because you can’t afford to, not because it’s a grossly negligent way to spend your time here on this earth.

I understand E Trade is trying to have a little fun with this commercial and it isn’t meant to be completely serious. However, they are obviously catering to a certain mind set and have spent millions of dollars getting it in front of viewers. There is a perspective and thought pattern they are appealing to and seeking to entice.

This commercial endorses and encourages only destructive mindsets and I am against everything it stands for. I am sorry for the rant but I really had to get that off my chest. Thank you, I feel better now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat