Skip to main content

The Most Dangerous Bees



This morning at the gym, as I was getting ready for work, I overheard a group of men chatting in the locker room. There were four of them, all in their late fifties to late sixties, and they were sharing “war stories” about what they had done, what they had accomplished, adventures they had experienced and what they used to be. It was a wake-up call for me. These men may have two or three more decades or more left on this planet and instead of looking forward, they were stuck celebrating the past.

Now, I don’t want to be too hard on these guys, maybe this is not typical of them. Maybe I just happened to catch them on a day when they were all reminiscing. But all too often, I find people to be perfectly content to have already fought their best fight, to have sung their best song, to have created their best art, and they are no longer striving to surpass what they have already accomplished. They are Used-To-Bees.

The problem with Used-To-Bees, as Les Brown would say, is that “Used-To-Bees don’t make no honey!” Used-To-Bees are stuck reliving the memory of what they have done in the past instead of making new, better honey. They are satisfied with what they were instead of striving to be what they could become.

I must never allow myself to become a Used-To-Bee. There will always be more and sweeter honey to produce and I hope and pray I never cease to improve what I create and share it with more people.

Whether you live to twenty-nine or ninety-two, life is too short to ever stop making the honey you were placed on this earth to create. A full grown adult will run from a single bee, a fraction of 1% of his or her own size, fearing the sting the tiny insect can inflict. However, the most dangerous and destructive bee of all is the Used-To-Bee: a bee that has lost its sting, its bite and most of all, its drive to create honey. Living in the rear view mirror must produce the most agonizing sting of all, a pain I hope you and I never have to experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat