Skip to main content

Obligation or Opportunity?


Are you living under obligation or in opportunity? You could be doing the exact same task, but how you approach and experience it can change dramatically with that difference in perspective. When you live under obligation, it’s easier to do the bare minimum, follow the pack and risk little. This is also a fantastic recipe for mediocre results and minimal, if any, reward. But if you are looking at a scenario through the lens of opportunity, you will likely have more energy, better ideas and more joy doing the exact same work as Mr. Mediocre.

People talk about how they “have” to go to work. Now, that may be true in the sense that work is required to earn enough money to eat and pay bills, but too many act as if “work” is a necessary evil that must be endured instead of an opportunity to embrace. There are literally millions of people (maybe billions) who would love to have your job, and every new day that you go to work, you have the chance to introduce the world to a slightly better version of yourself than has ever existed before – one who is better able to influence and impact the world around you in more positive way.

You may be in a frustrating marriage or relationship and are living in obligation to that other person. But consider someone who has just lost their spouse, reeling from a tragic divorce and would be willing to give anything for just one more chance to make it work. You have the opportunity to sacrifice a little bit more, to give a little extra and to love until, and especially when, it hurts.

I hear folks talk about raising kids like it’s an 18 year prison sentence instead of an opportunity to mold and shape and inspire a human life. Now, I realize these people do genuinely love their kids, but still, they are viewing the experience as an obligation, not an opportunity. I could go on and on with examples, but I think you get the point. Heck, I have to remind myself of this when my wife and kids want to go pay money to live in the woods like we are homeless – some people call it camping – and I have to view it through the lens of opportunity in making memories and strengthening bonds with my family. We all have areas of our lives where we have the choice to view difficult circumstances and engagements as opportunity or obligation. How you choose to view those situations may be one of the most significant factors in the overall experience and outcome of those moments. Learn to live in opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat