Skip to main content

Being Vulnerable



Our society lacks a healthy view of vulnerability. Some might see it as weakness while others view it as a free pass to vomit their life story on a hapless audience. True vulnerability is proactive, even somewhat calculated, and always courageous. Like plants need sunshine, genuine personal growth and development requires healthy vulnerability.

Between my early teens and early twenties, I thought being vulnerable was a weakness. I thought by compartmentalizing emotions and learning to disconnect my feelings from circumstances I was being strong. I didn’t realize I was instead being a coward. The walls I put up to keep out pain and discomfort were the very walls that kept out connection and blessing. For over a decade, I forfeited a lot of growth and opportunities to build value for others by holding this incorrect view. The walls held my weaknesses in while they kept my strengths from reaching others.

But healthy vulnerability is not indiscriminately exposing yourself impulsively. When abused, it can be reckless and destructive. Vulnerability is allowing yourself to be in a position where you can experience pain and discomfort for a greater good, but it is also being in a place where others are able to cause you harm. Because of this, vulnerability must be used with care and caution.

Going out and starting a company instead of staying at the steady, safe, but dead-end nine-to-five job. Choosing to spend the rest of your life with someone and committing yourself to another human being in marriage. Raising kids. Investing your time and energy into someone who may waste your efforts and not apply your influence. Sharing an idea or a vision with your company and the world around you – a world which may reject and mock your dream. All these scenarios leave you in a state of vulnerability and risk. But they also put you in a position to connect and influence. Vulnerability allows you to relate to others in a more intimate way, in a manner where you can truly make an impact in someone’s life and cause ripples out into the world. Being vulnerable isn’t easy, it isn’t safe and it isn’t comfortable. But it’s necessary. It’s where growth happens. It’s where life matters most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat