Skip to main content

Living in Amazement

 


We live in a world that offers so many innovations that amazing has become mundane. We get upset when our phones take a few extra seconds to download an email, but forget that it is a message sent from space! You are receiving a letter from a friend across the country and it is being sent by a satellite orbiting the earth. That’s amazing, even if it does take a few extra seconds sometimes. I still remember when a phone was something attached to a wall that you could only use to talk to someone. It was beyond our comprehension that it would be carried in a pocket and have the ability to receive messages from space and play movies and take crystal clear photos.

We (myself included) get irritated when our plane is delayed by 17 minutes, especially if we have connecting flights. We have the ability to travel across the country, New York to LA, in less than six hours, and get bent out of shape because of a few minutes. In the 1800s, it would take six months to go from the Missouri River to the Willamette Valley along the Oregon trail (only about two-thirds the NY to LA distance). That is if you survived! Even if you made it, most of your family probably didn’t, having been killed by angry Indians, wild animals, starvation or disease along the way. And these weren’t “nice” diseases that killed people peacefully in their sleep, it was stuff like cholera and dysentery, diseases that made you wish you were being scalped by an irate Indian (you can read about what those infections were like in your spare time on your phone/space messaging machine).

Have you ever been on a transcontinental flight on which someone died of starvation or explosive diarrhea? I know the food is subpar and the peanut packets are hard to open, but remember you are flying through the air like a missile while watching a movie on your space messaging machine, that’s amazing! I’m sorry you are 17 minutes late after flying 3000 miles through the air like a superhero bird, get over it.

Just last week, I dropped my car off at the dealership to explore a “rattle” sound it was making. Turns it out, it was the latches on my removable hard top, first world problems for sure. Could you imagine having that conversation with your local covered wagon dealer 150 years ago? “Um, there seems to be some kind of vibration or rattle noise going on, can you guys look into it and see what might be causing it?” Everything! Literally every part of that wagon would rattle and creak … every day for six months! And you would have been okay with that because it would have drowned out the noise of people slowly dying in the back seat.

This car has cameras, satellite radio, heated and cooled seats, a touchscreen with a live-time map that continually updates my location in reference to my destination by communicating with, you guessed it, space. And they fixed the rattle. That’s amazing!

Here is the real irony, people go to their local greasy spoon diner and call their burger amazing and yet sit there and complain about every other aspect of their life. The burger is a part of a dead cow with some wilted lettuce; it might be tasty, but it is not amazing. Being able to have an entire library at your fingertips without leaving your couch, that’s amazing. Having access to medical care that can replace your heart and keep you alive after your original one stopped beating, that’s amazing. Being able to see your friends and family who live thousands of miles away and have a real-time “face to face” conversation with them over a screen while still social distancing, that’s amazing.

Don’t get amazing confused. Yes, you have challenges and difficulties in your life. Yes, you face hardships. Yes, you have setbacks. But do not let any of those things allow the amazing to become mundane. Your life is amazing, you just need to pause and reflect on it sometimes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat