Skip to main content

Riding Lessons


My daughters recently began taking horse riding lessons. I don’t quite understand the draw of riding a large, stinky animal around in circles – especially now that they have invented the car – but my girls love it, so I’ve tried to be supportive. Anyway, my little seven-year-old, Brooklynn, is only about two months into lessons and is just starting to build her confidence in controlling such a massive animal. Brook is maybe 50lbs when soaking wet and wearing a Flavor Flav style gold chain, so this horse is quite literally 20 times her size if not more.

Yesterday she was learning how to modulate the horse’s gait from standing, to walking, to a trot (which is kind of like a horse jog, I think) then back down to a walk and to standing again. Sometimes this horse required a bit more motivation to move than my tiny and (sometimes) soft-spoken daughter would provide, so the instructor was trying to get Brook to assert herself a little more as she rode. Something clicked inside my daughter, and I heard a very commanding “TROT” come out of my girl’s mouth as she firmly dug her heels into the horse’s side. This horse wasn’t sure what was going on but didn’t want to mess with the young, newly-appointed dictator on her back, so she skipped right through “walk” and “trot” and went straight to “canter” (which is faster than a trot but not a full out gallop – maybe like a horse version of a run but less than a sprint – I’m not quite sure, I am more of a “motorized vehicle” guy). As Brooklynn realized she got more than she bargained for, her eyes got huge. I could tell she was a bit nervous as she had never been on a horse moving this fast and the instructor was a good 50 ft away – Brook was all on her own with this giant beast. Then, her training kicked in. She fought her instinct to panic, sat up straight in her saddle, and began to gently pull back on the reigns. Then she calmly reminded the horse, “trot, trot” in a soft but firm voice and relaxed her heel pressure on the beast’s side. Amazingly, this giant equine responded almost immediately and slowed back down to a trot as instructed. I was so impressed with the command my little girl had over this tremendously large and powerful animal.

Life can sometimes feel like this, as if we are perched atop a beast much larger and more powerful than us. And just like my girl on the horse, sometimes we get more than we bargained for and life just takes off on us. It can feel overwhelming, as if we are a small child being carried by the powerful forces of life. We feel out of control. And while it’s true, we cannot “control” life – just as that horse could have done whatever it wanted, and my little girl could have done little to stop her – we do certainly have some influence. We must remember what we can control; and seek to maximize the small influences we do have. We can sit up straight, with confidence and resolve. We can remain calm and be both intentional and specific about what we are seeking (“trot, trot”). Also, we should relax, knowing that tensing up just adds more pressure and drives the beast underneath us to move even more frantically.

My daughter didn’t think of all the things that could go wrong, nor did she dwell on her relative helplessness atop a thousand-pound horse. She simply focused on the few but impactful actions she could control, then continued to ride on with a smile.


*The horse in the picture is not the same one she was riding during the story. The picture shown was selected to portray the cuteness of my daughter rather than the enormity of the horse in the story (the thing is huge! The horse in the picture looks miniature by comparison).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat