Skip to main content

Excuses or Execution


Sometimes we are so consumed with the reasons why something might not work that we undermine our own efforts to accomplish the task. It’s as if we put more energy into excuses than we do into possible solutions.

A couple weeks ago I sent my four oldest kids to shovel the driveway and decks. We do have a fairly large driveway, but the snowfall was moderate – maybe about four inches – and there would be four of them shoveling, so I figured they’d be fine. After about ten minutes, Braelynn, my oldest, comes back inside and informs me the task is insurmountable. The driveway simply couldn’t be shoveled and would probably require a solution that clearly wasn’t available to modern society. I sent her back out. A few minutes later my youngest daughter, Brooklynn, comes in and gives a similar report. There’s just too much snow and her legs are getting cold. I told her to put snowpants on over her shorts (yes, she’s in shorts, shoveling snow) and return to the job. Shortly thereafter, Ben, my middle son enters the house with another update. Apparently, whoever designed our driveway mistakenly made it too big, plus, Ben felt as if he personally was too young and his arms too tired to finish shoveling. He suggested we wait the five months for the snow to melt. Thrilled with the fantastic work ethic I have obviously instilled in my kids, I sent him back to his chores, impossible as they were. Bryson, my oldest son, was the only one who didn’t come inside with an excuse.

After a few minutes of silence with no kids coming into the house asking for a simpler task to do, such as building a manned spacecraft to send to Jupiter, I became worried some disaster had befallen my children. I went into the living room to look out the window and survey the situation. As I watched my kids, I began to realize why my offspring were having such trouble making progress. Brooklynn was on the deck trying to “shovel” with a windshield scraper/brush, essentially just sweeping the snow around. Granted, it was a large one, but still – it helps if you use a shovel, kid! Braelynn was neither shoveling nor sweeping, but rather sledding down the driveway, effectively packing down the snow and making it even harder to shovel. Way to set an example to your younger siblings. And Ben, oh sweet little Ben, he was standing on the snowbank, snowpants down around his knees, peeing onto the yard. I have no comment about that. Interestingly, Bryson, the only kid who didn’t come into to plead the futility of the assigned task, was the only one actually shoveling.

As comical as the whole scene was (well, for you anyway -  I am still wondering where I went wrong as a father), I think adults often act very much the same way. We decide a task can’t be done or is at least beyond our capability and then that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as we shortchange and impair our own efforts, thereby sabotaging the mission. It’s very difficult to fully invest yourself in something you’ve already convinced yourself is a failed venture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this