Skip to main content

Consistency

 


At a business conference a few years ago, a fellow attendee walked up to me, made a comment about my chest muscles (hey, my eyes are up here, buddy!) and then proceeded to ask what exercise I used to get that way. What was my secret? Bench press? Incline press? Dumbbells? Cable flyes?

Since the ship of normal human interaction had already sailed at this point, I was probably a little less gracious than I could have been. In my caught-off-guard-state, I told him my “secret” was I had not skipped a workout in ten years. Feeling a bit bad about my initial response, I further explained that the specific exercises did not matter nearly as much as his long-term commitment to whatever choices he made.

In our tweet, text, at-your-fingertips, microwave, Instant Pot, instant gratification world, it is easy to overlook consistency. Our society as a whole lacks the stamina to stick with commitments long enough to see the benefits come to light. Instead, we search for the shortcut, the quick-fix and the magic formula. We want the “secret.”

There is no meal so healthy that you never have to think about your eating habits ever again. There is no workout so effective that you no longer must commit to staying active. There is no financial decision so impactful that you never have to make a plan for your money in the future. There is no love note so eloquent that you never have to remind your spouse how much you care about them in the future.

Living an abundant life is less about what you do at single moment in time, and more about what you always do. Details matter, but the nuances of a commitment will probably be the determining factor in the impact it makes in your life. It is less about the specifics of the path you chose, and more that you do not stop. That is consistency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat