Skip to main content

Mix of Emotions




It’s a weird mix of emotions I am feeling this morning. For whatever reason, the pain of lost friends and loved ones seems especially intense today. The distance in other relationships is also troubling, especially with my dad. I really miss how things used to be, the closeness in our friendship we used to have. I am hurting for close friends going through various trials. But I am also feeling tremendous appreciation for the countless wonderful things in my life. There is so much good to be thankful for! But there’s also some trepidation for unknowns in the future, like “What in the world are we going to do with six kids?!? Are we going to become van people?” And lastly, I am also feeling a deep sense of responsibility and purpose.

With one week to go before the final Thanksgiving of the decade, I think the dominant emotion I am experiencing is gratitude. My heart is overwhelmed with appreciation for my wonderful wife and mother of my five and a half kids (Number 6 is due in March and is only half-baked. Some would say all of them are only half-baked, but that’s another matter). I am so blessed to have each one of my crazy but amazing kids. I love the team that we have become together and the way my Bride keeps us all in check and everything running smoothly. I am thankful for a job I love to go to every morning. I actually miss my job on my days off, not because my time off isn’t great, but because I miss standing shoulder to shoulder with my beloved friends and family at the office as we engage in the opportunity to change the lives of the people who walk through our door. It’s not just an occupation or a career, it’s a calling. If I stop and think about it, there’s not another man on this planet I would trade lives with. Even with the struggles and pain, the joy and fulfillment I have overshadows the trials.

So, as I try to make sense of the cocktail of emotions swirling around in my soul, my mind goes back to a comic strip I cut out and taped to my bedroom door twenty-five years ago. There’s a line at the end of the comic that has stuck with me the entire time, two and a half decades. A question I continue to ask myself and keeps coming into my thoughts today. The line reads: “When God was handing out good lives, why did He give one to me?”

I am so thankful for the life of which I am a steward. Oh Lord, please don’t let me waste it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this