Skip to main content

Keeping it Simple


My morning started with my toddler waking up crying long before it was time for him to be up for the day. It isn’t so much that he isn’t ready to face the world early in morning, it’s more that at 6am, the world isn’t ready to face Brecken. My wife started to get up to get him a bottle, but being the loving, sensitive husband and father I am, I told her I would do it so she could go back to sleep. My alarm had gone off just seconds earlier so I didn’t have my contacts in yet and I began to fumble around for my glasses when my wife says in more-than-a-little-threatening tone, “you’d better hurry before he wakes up the whole house.” Desperate to avoid the ire of my pregnant bride, I hurried downstairs to fetch a bottle for the young prince.

I manage to navigate through the kitchen, half-blind and in the dark, and made my way to the drawer containing the bottles. It would be too easy if we had just one brand and size of bottle, so we have at least three or four different styles and makes of baby bottles in that %&$# drawer. And exactly none of the pieces and parts are interchangeable. Why there isn’t a standard baby bottle cap and nipple is beyond me. You may be wondering, “Pieces and parts? It’s a bottle, how many parts could there possibly be?” Ah, I am glad you asked. Hundreds! You have, of course, the bottle, but there is also the cap to the bottle, the nipple, and then some of the brands have a little filter looking thing that does only-God-knows-what, but if you don’t have that part the bottle will leak. Apparently, they just design the bottles with that extra piece because making a bottle cap that sealed the nipple right to the bottle would make parents’ life just way too cushy. Then there’s this funnel looking thing attached to a straw type thing that goes inside the bottle and ends in a fairly sharp point. Which makes sense, because it seems important for a young, angry child to have access to a sharp object hidden inside their bottle (Is this how shivs are snuck into prisons? Do they have toddler prisons? It’s not a bad idea! Can I send my toddler to prison? I have so many questions …)

Okay, so here I am in the kitchen, rifling through the thousands of non-interchangeable parts, trying to match up all the right pieces within a particular style and brand of bottle so I can feed my child before he wakes up the rest of the villagers. It’s quite literally putting a puzzle together in the dark, but remember, I am also mostly blind, and most of the pieces don’t even fit this particular “puzzle.” As I paw through the drawer, the volume of my son’s cries starts increasing, reminding me the pressure is on and I am running out of time. I feel like Ethan Hunt trying to dismantle a time bomb as it quickly ticks down. Maybe it was all in my head, but it is about this time I remember hearing the Mission Impossible score playing in the background.

I finally pieced together all the correct, brand matching parts to this bottle (at least I’m pretty sure I got it right, but after all, I was mostly blind so who knows?), only to find someone had removed the little scoop from the formula box. Realizing I was nearly out of time before the “time bomb” upstairs explodes, I just started pouring formula into the bottle, “yeah, that seems like four scoops …”

I rush the bottle up to Brecken’s room, mere seconds before doomsday strikes, and deliver the world’s most complicated bottle to my son. The world has once again been saved and I am the hero.  When Hollywood makes a movie of this morning’s adventures, I hope they get the Captain America guy to play me.

I realize I am getting a bit long-winded with this, so here is the point: why make a bottle so complicated? Why make anything so complicated? There is elegance and genius in simplicity and the baby bottle cartel bosses have clearly missed it.

Our brains long for simplicity but our egos crave complexity. We like complex solutions because they give us outs. They relieve us from the responsibility of failure because, with such complexity, there’s just a lot of areas to place blame outside of ourselves. They give us excuses for procrastination because it takes a while to figure out such a multifaceted solution. They also provide reasons for not even attempting to solve the problem because it’s quite difficult to find the right path amidst such intricacy. But I think the overarching reason we seem drawn to complexity is that simple doesn’t mean easy and we often try to circumvent difficult but straightforward solutions with complexity.

You may not have a PhD in “exercise-induced physiological adaptations,” but if you want to improve your fitness, it’s fairly simple to set your alarm clock an hour earlier so you can get up while it’s still cold and dark and go for a run. But that solution is far from easy and actually sounds quite miserable. You may not be an endocrinologist and fully understand the hormonal triggers to weight gain or how those hormones are connected to diet, but I’m sure you at least have an inkling that downing another triple-shot-mocha-latte-double stuffed-bulletproof-smoothie with 107 grams of sugar and 53 grams of fat maybe isn’t the best health choice. You may not even have an advanced degree in finance, but you probably understand that eating out at restaurants eleven times per week or buying a car that’s worth more than your annual income on a 10-year loan is likely not in line with good a financial plan.

Uncomplicated solutions are often not easy but can be very effective. Complexity gives you something to hide behind, but it may also be a barrier to moving forward. Avoid the seduction of senseless complexity and keep things simple.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat