Skip to main content

Drum Beats



“Boy, he sure does march to the beat of his own drum!”

You’ve heard this phrase and probably even used it yourself. Sometimes, it is used in derision, sometimes in condescending endearment, and sometimes in bewilderment or confusion as we try to understand actions that seem foreign to us. But rarely do we use that phrase in admiration.

We live in a fishbowl world where people put their lives on display for all to see. “Keeping up with the Joneses” is not a new thing, but it has been intensified in recent years with the booming of the internet and widespread adoption of social media. In a moment, you can peer into someone else’s life – at least the parts they want you to see – and do an instantaneous comparison with your life.

While this is potentially destructive on many levels, I want you to consider the danger it poses to the beat you march to as you travel life’s path. Let’s ignore, for the moment, that following the wide path and listening to a popular drumbeat is probably the road to Average and a shortcut to mediocrity. Just as critical, if not more so, is that marching to someone else’s beat is simply not what you were designed to do. Whether it’s social media, reality tv, books and magazines or simply the family in the pew next to you at church, the process of continual comparison can cause us to dance to someone else’s music.

While it may be fun for a while, those notes you are stepping to might not be written for you. Each one of us has a song God has placed in our hearts and that is the tune we must march to, regardless of the beat the world around us plays. Listen for the music placed inside your own heart and don’t be afraid to march to the beat of your own drum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat