Skip to main content

Feeling Taxed



If we can see the long-term payoff of an action it’s easier to make the tough choices in the moment, but sometimes it’s hard to make the connection between a sacrifice today and a benefit tomorrow. Earlier this year, we had moved out of our house to move into a new home we just had built. Even though our old home sat empty, I was still paying the mortgage on a structure no one was using. It was benefiting no one and those payments felt like a tax. Like money just going out the window. It was especially frustrating to pay the property taxes on the empty home no one was using. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Now speaking of taxes, I realize they provide for necessary things, but as I sat here this morning paying the second round of property taxes on the year, I couldn’t help but feel some futility in the payments I was making. On the tax invoice, they will itemize the breakdown of where that money is going once you write the check, as if seeing how my hard-earned cash will be spent helps justify the rates I am charged, “Oh cool, magpie rehabilitation, yes I guess that is important!”

Okay, so it isn’t that detailed, but it does show about half the taxes are going to the school district. I believe education is important, but my kids are homeschooled so that wasn’t too fulfilling. The next line item was “fire.” I am guessing this is for the fire department and we aren’t paying some service to randomly start fires. (If the latter is the case though, I’d like to be a part of that team.) Perhaps this is going to fire research? I can only assume “wheel-reinventing” is on here somewhere as well. Anyway, it makes me feel better to think that money is going to the local fire department so I’m sticking with that. After all, my family has had to utilize the ambulance a couple of times over the years so that is important … oh wait, we were charged separately for that …

Okay, so the next line item is Police. I can get on board with that. Police are important. But I don’t really call the police. At least not 911. Because of some work and personal relationships, my family is very close to a number of officers, detectives and command staff, not to mention, about half the SWAT team. So, if we have an issue, we typically call a specific officer, not wanting to tie up the emergency line. Plus, I don’t want to overreact if it’s not an actual “emergency.”

“Hey, Jon, some vehicle I’ve never seen before just drove into the neighborhood, pulled into my driveway to turn around and then left. Very suspicious. He must be casing the joint.”

“Understood, would you like me to shoot him?”

“Either that or an airstrike, obviously this kind of egregious behavior must be stopped immediately.”

“You’re right, just mark the vehicle with an infrared tag and I will call in a gunship for an airstrike.”

This is already getting long and I might be getting off track a bit, but here is my point: if we don’t link the short-term discomfort with a future benefit, it’s very hard to continue making the sacrifice. It ends up just feeling like a tax. And no one I know voluntarily pays taxes just for the sheer glee found in sending off money into the great unknown. If the connection isn’t made, we are likely to quit making the payment.


Find the future benefits in the “payments” you are making today. They could be sacrifices in a relationship, in education, diet, exercise, career, etc. Identifying those long-term payoffs will make it easier to continue “writing the checks.” Meanwhile, I am still struggling with these property taxes. Maybe I will start making some 911 calls …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this