Skip to main content

Fair Ball?



A few weeks ago, I attended my niece’s baseball game. It was a cold, overcast evening with intermittent rain and wind leaving the ground messy and muddy, but don’t worry, the baseball was far worse than the weather conditions. Even calling this baseball was a bit of a stretch, as it was “coach pitch.” Well, it wasn’t even that, as the coaches had a mechanical pitching machine to assist them, but I digress.

They weren’t keeping score, which I was prepared for, but it was still disappointing. Everyone got to bat every inning, which was annoying, but I guess that’s what they must do to keep everything “fair.” And if there’s one life lesson to learn in sports, it’s that life is fair and everyone gets an equal chance at everything (I can’t even write this with a straight face). Here’s what really got me though: there are no outs! A kid can swing and swing, missing pitch after pitch until the coach is worn out loading the little rubberized ball (they aren’t even real baseballs, we have to make it “safe”) into the machine, and then they bring out the tee. Now these aren’t toddlers out there, mind you. These kids were seven, eight and nine years old, way too old for this level of patronizing.

So, what does “no outs” look like? Once a player does finally hit a ball into play (this seemed to take hours at times) – even if the player grounds out or hits a pop fly that is caught – they get to go to first base. No exceptions. Furthermore, a runner already on base also gets to advance a base, no matter what. But only one base. So it doesn’t matter if a kid has seventeen strikes, finally gets to use the tee, then hits a dribbler to the pitcher and gets tagged trying to find first base (this happened, by the way – I guess the kids need maps these days or maybe a special base-running app on their phone) or smashes a line drive over all the kids’ heads deep into the outfield (this never happened though, as performance-enhancing drugs apparently haven’t yet made it into little league games), every at-bat results in a single.

There are literally zero consequences for any and every play. The result is the same every time. Everyone scores no matter how bad they mess up. No one loses, so consequently, there are no winners. You can’t fail, thus you cannot succeed. And whether you are the lazy kid in right field taking a nap or the rare player giving it 100% of your effort, your impact to the outcome of the game is the same. Nothing matters. But at least it’s “fair.”

Unfortunately, the idea of a life without consequences is sold far beyond the childhood years and many adults have bitten into the toxic fruit of this lie. When we strive for fairness above virtue and try to remove consequences from actions, everyone loses. This kind of “fair” ball is actually quite foul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat