Skip to main content

Sacrifice



Author Stephen Covey defines sacrifice as “giving up something good for something even better.” But all too often we stop halfway through that definition and perceive sacrifice as simply “giving up something good.” We miss the “for something better,” which is really the very essence of the sacrifice.  In doing so, we overemphasize the cost of what is being surrendered. We view sacrifice as if it is terminal, as if we are permanently and completely relinquishing value and thereby the transaction.

But sacrifice is rarely a loss and is often a net gain. It isn’t martyrdom. It’s stepping over a dime to pick up a dollar. Unfortunately, we often do just the opposite. We fixate on the dime today rather than gaining the dollar tomorrow. And if I can take Covey’s definition a step further and enlarge it, I would venture to say sacrifice is often giving up what is desired for what is necessary. Sacrifice is sometimes more than just trading good for better, its transcending to another plane entirely, choosing to forego what is trivial and fleeting to acquire what is truly invaluable.

Perhaps if we can view sacrifice in this light, we can more easily part with those things that are hindering us from what we really need, thus freeing us to become who we were designed to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this