Skip to main content

Eschewing Excuses



Benjamin Franklin said, “He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.”  Now, we all make excuses from time to time, but Ol’ Ben seems to be referring to those who make a habit of it. And I do believe excuses can be habitual because they set a precedent for one’s view of life.

If a student gets a bad exam score and blames it on the material or the professor, she has already given up ground for the next test. After all, if the material is poorly presented or the professor doesn’t like her, surely she is a victim and the next result will likely be as the last. Never mind the fact she sleeps through a third of her classes and “studying” looks more like watching TV with a book open.

When an employee is in a rut at work, rarely getting a promotion or raise and maybe even being “mistreated” with undesirable tasks and assignments, he may blame the boss or his coworkers. “They never liked me anyway.” Or, “My boss just has it out for me.” Surely, he has now set himself up for failure again in the future because if the boss and coworkers don’t change, he is trapped! However, he forgets to consider that he is often 10-15 minutes late to work and spends a couple hours each days zoned out on the computer, adding to the workload of his coworkers because of his lack of initiative.

In both of these examples, not only have the subjects excused themselves, they have also shackled their influence in those situations. In shirking ownership, they have also given up control. Excuses don’t just live in the moment, they erode your effectiveness in the future.

What people don’t seem to realize is when we make excuses and pass blame, we also render ourselves powerless to improve and affect what is going on around us. The impact of this is less about the excuse in the moment and more significant in how our perspective shifts going forward. The giving up of control, or even the feeling of doing so, can trigger a cascade of negative viewpoints. Psychologists have connected perceived loss of control with not just a lack of ambition, but also with depression and hopelessness.

If you are one prone to making excuses, you are habitually giving away your power and influence. You are creating a prison in which you must helplessly wait for others to change your circumstances because, as you have reminded yourself and those around you, your scenario is out of control. Make the decision to take back ownership and stop making excuses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxic Humility

We have all seen false humility: the guy who tries to hide his arrogance with feigned modesty. It’s usually pretty obvious and always obnoxious. But there is also another variation of false humility out there: toxic humility. This is often displayed in self-deprecating talk and a lack of self-confidence, belittling or undermining one’s own talents and abilities. The danger in this kind of behavior is twofold: it is too often accepted as true humility and like a virus, it spreads doubt and disbelief. To clarify, it is not that the bearer of this toxic humility isn’t honest about his view of himself. That is the very issue: he absolutely believes he has little value or utility. He thinks downplaying his own worth is humility but I disagree. CS Lewis said it best when he wrote, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking about yourself less.” His point being, true humility is not an ever-present raincloud of self-doubt that follows you around. It’s a focus on

Commitment

  You know what the problem is with a lot of goals and grand plans? They are mostly fueled by emotion rather than commitment. It is why most New Year’s Resolutions are long forgotten by now and many aspirations quietly fizzle out over time. True commitment is sticking with the effort even – if and especially when – the emotion has diminished or disappeared. Emotion can be a great initiator of action, like kindling on a fire, but it lacks staying power. Commitment is the logs that keep the fire burning long after the kindling is consumed. The butterflies after falling in love, the best intentions of waking up at 4:30am every day to work out after you join a new gym, the excitement of your first day on campus, even the sleep-deprivation induced euphoria of a new baby: all kindling. But it is commitment that keeps you working hard on the marriage twenty-three years after “I do.” It is what causes you to keep going when you do not want to make one more sales call, do one more presentat

Glutton for Punishment

I’ve learned over the years that being comfortable can be a dangerous thing. I try to find paths to discomfort to push me out of my realm of “safety.” However, I have noticed my ability to develop comfort zones amidst discomfort. I’ve found ways to be comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances. I wonder, do I need to be stretched beyond those areas as well? One of the areas in which I have adapted to the discomfort is the gym. I don’t go to the gym to exercise, to get stronger or even to be healthier. It’s grown beyond that. Now, I go to the gym to clear my head by testing my will and resolve. I do it to see how hard I can push my limits and I strive to outwork everyone else there. I may not be the strongest, the fastest or the fittest. I may not lift the most weight or even do the most reps – I can’t control any of those variables – but I can control my effort. So one of my goals for each workout is to unleash more effort than anyone else at the gym. But along with this